The New HR Website

We invite you to spend time exploring our new website and discover the new features and layout! Check it out here.

Search HR
  • OneSource Logo

Human Resources  |  Benefits  |  Educational Benefits

Educational Benefits

Tuition Remission

The Tuition Remission Program is extended to:

  • Regular full and part-time staff and faculty (from their initial date of hire).
  • UNM Retirees.

The program provides a waiver of tuition for:

  • Up to eight (8) undergraduate or graduate credit hours or the equivalent of eight undergraduate credit hours for non-credit courses each fall and spring semester.
  • Up to four (4) credit hours during the summer semester.
  • Mandatory fees are covered (special or lab fees are not covered).

Tuition Remission can be used for classes at:

  • The University of New Mexico
  • New Mexico State University
  • UNM Continuing Education and/or University departments for professional development

UNM employees with Bursar holds on their accounts will be ineligible for tuition remission, and they will be unable to register for classes until the hold is released by the Bursar’s Office. This applies to courses for academic credit as well as classes taken through Continuing Education.

Spouse/Domestic Partner Tuition Benefit

If a spouse or domestic partner is not pursuing a degree or does not meet the criteria for the dependent education scholarship, the University will pay resident tuition for up to four (4) credit hours per semester for UNM courses taken for academic credit.

How to Begin

  1. Complete the Tuition Remission Form
  2. Submit the Tuition Remission Form
    • Courses for academic credit should be submitted to the bursars office.
    • Courses for Professional Development through UNM Continuing Education or UNM Departments should be submitted to the respective department.

For more information on Tuition Remission including the Tuition Remission Form, see University Administrative Policy #3700 and the Section 127 Education Assistance Plan.

Please Note: According to University Administrative Policy #3700, item 3.5.1, if the amount of tuition paid during the calendar year exceeds the published IRS maximum amount; the amount in excess of the IRS maximum will be added to the employee's wages as taxable income. For more information, please read the plan document.

Dependent Education Program

The Dependent Education Program provides paid undergraduate tuition for your:

  • Spouse/domestic partner and/or
  • Dependent children

AND you must be:

  • Regular staff working at least fifty percent (50%) or above (at least twenty (20) hours per week), and who have been employed in a benefits eligible job for at least one (1) year as of the last day of student registration for the applicable semester, OR
  • Regular faculty working at least percent (50%) or above, with a minimum nine-(9) month contract, and who have been employed in a benefits eligible job for at least one (1) year as of the last day of student registration for the applicable semester (a nine-(9) month academic year faculty contract fulfills the one (1) year requirement).

The program provides a waiver of tuition for:

  • Up to eighteen (18) credit hours per semester, and
  • Up to eight (8) semesters.

This benefit does not cover fees.

How to Apply

  1. Complete the Dependent Education Program Application.
  2. Return Dependent Education Program Application to the Department of Human Resources, Employee Benefits Office by the announced deadline.
    • UNM Human Resources Service Center
    • 1700 Lomas Blvd. NE, Suite 1400
    • MSC012 1220 Albuquerque, NM 87131

The Dependent Education Scholarship does not cover mandatory student fees. The mandatory fees per credit hour for Fall 2012/Spring 2013 are $50.99. Mandatory fees for a full time student are $611.88. Dependent Education for a full time student (12-18 hours) will pay $2,412.84.

The Dependent Education Program must be applied for, and both student and employee must be eligible. The award is not guaranteed. For more information on Dependent Education including the Dependent Education Program Application, see University Administrative Policy #3700.

The Education Plan of New Mexico (Section 529)

A 529 plan is a special, state-sponsored savings program that recognizes the need for families to set aside significant assets for college. UNM employees can contribute money to a Section 529 plan from The Education Plan of New Mexico through a payroll deduction.

These 529 plan accounts can be opened for various types of beneficiaries including:

  • Yourself
  • Children
  • Grandchildren
  • Relatives
  • Friends

The beneficiary does not have to be a family member.

A 529 plan allows you to set aside funds for the following college expenses:

  • Tuition for post-secondary schools, including schools other than UNM
  • Room and board
  • Books and supplies
  • Fees

The benefits of this plan:

  • Contributions to the program earn interest while invested.
  • Distributions are non-taxable when distributed if used for qualified higher education expenses.
  • All contributions made by New Mexico residents are New Mexico state tax deductible on PIT state tax return at the end of the calendar year.
  • There is no age limit for the initial beneficiary when you establish an account.
  • You can change beneficiaries to another member of the family of the original beneficiary anytime without penalty.
  • The $30 annual account maintenance fee is waived if you or your beneficiary is a New Mexico state resident or you have an account balance of at least $10,000.

For more information, contact the UNM Payroll Department at 277-2353 or The Education Plan of New Mexico at (877) EDP-LAN8 (337-5268) or