Start!With Health Sciences Center (HSC)
The UNM Health Sciences Center's most important value is a steadfast duty to improve the health of all New Mexicans. This critical value starts with our selves. Maintaining our own health first will help us meet the roles and responsibilities we have as health care providers.
The HSC Wellness Committee is encouraging the HSC community to participate in a six-week lifestyle campaign called Start!
- Start walking
- Start eating better
- Start living a healthier life
- Start with yourself!
What is Start?
A six-week lifestyle campaign encouraging positive lifestyle changes through
walking and a better diet. This six-week program is coordinated by UNM's
Employee Health Promotion, and utilizes American Heart Association's (AHA)
My Activity Tracker.
Who Can Join?
Health Sciences Center Staff, Faculty, and Students
$10.00 for each individual. UNM benefits-eligible employees may use Tuition Remission.
Participants Who Join the Program Can
- Measure their BMI and body fat %
- Track their daily physical activities through the AHA online My Activity Tracker
- Use a pedometer to track daily steps
- Track their daily diet intake
- Use the Google-map based Find a Walking Path to find or create walking routes around their home, office, or when traveling
- Follow a personalized Walking Plan
- Get nutrition and physical activity tips from AHA to help them achieve their goals
- See how they rank among their coworkers
- Easily find healthy lifestyle tips and guidelines from AHA
- Attend three educational presentations on nutrition and fitness
- Attend three instructor-led fitness sessions
- Earn rewards for participation and program completion
Team Competitions and Prizes
- First, second, and third place teams with the best overall scores in
tracking frequency, distance, minutes, and steps recorded on
My Activity Tracker win a cash prize.
- First place = $100.00 for each team member
- Second place = $50.00 for each team member
- Third place = $25.00 for each team member
- Team with the best (i.e. original, funniest, inspiring) name will win a
workout kit for
each team member. Start! participants will vote on the best team name.
- Workout kits will also be raffled off during the educational presentations and fitness sessions.
- You must have a team of exactly four members. Participants are responsible for finding their own team members. Once you have selected a team, you cannot switch.
- All individuals on the team must participate in pre-program measurements. The top three winning teams may be asked to complete end-of-program measurements.
*Per University Administrative Policy #3235, recognition awards, both monetary and non-monetary, may result in taxable income to the employee. In accordance with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, all monetary awards, regardless of the amount, result in taxable income to the employee and are subject to federal and state income tax and social security withholding. UNM Hospital employees and HSC students who win any of the cash prizes must submit their social security number to EHP for IRS reporting purposes or forfeit their winnings.
- Pre-measurements (BMI and Body Fat %): April 8 - April 12, 2013
- Start! Program: April 15 - May 24, 2013
- Post measurements (BMI and Body Fat %): May 28 - May 31, 2013
How to Register
Choose your registration method - Individual or Team of Four?
Individuals and teams of four can participate in the Start! program. To be eligible for prizes, choose your team of four.
Make your $10.00 payment.
Payment can be made using
or by credit card.
Attend one of the pre-measurement events (see schedule below).
Be sure to print and bring your completed tuition remission form or payment receipt with you.
Finally, register with the
Heart Association to gain access to their suite of online tools.
Fill in your contact information and be sure to:
- Register as part of UNM Health Sciences Center in order to participate in this program, and
- Include your team name in the Dept/Team field to be eligible for prizes.
Need help? Use our
AHA My Heart My Life Registration Tutorial to guide you through the process.
Available on a walk-in basis, no appointment required.
Monday, April 8, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- UNM Hospital - Sandia Room
Tuesday, April 9, 7:00 am - 11:00 am
- Domenici Building - Northeast Lobby
- Cholesterol screenings are also provided during this session.
- Participants for cholesterol screening must have fasted for at least 12 hours before test. Be sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Wednesday, April 10, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Basic Medical Science Building (BMSB) - Room #201A
Thursday, April 11, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Nursing and Pharmacy Building - Room #B39
Friday, April 12, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- UNM Cancer Center - Multiple-Purpose Room #1605
On the Hunt for Wellness
This May, celebrate Employee Health and Fitness Month with Employee Health Promotion. We are partnering with other departments on campus to bring awareness to the wide variety of health and wellness services available for UNM faculty and staff. Take advantage of free services during May, and participate in our scavenger hunt to discover exciting ways you can take charge of your wellness while at work.
Free Outdoor Boot Camp Fitness Classes
Attend one of two free fitness classes that Recreational Services will offer during the first full week of May. As a special bonus, class attendees will be eligible to purchase a summer semester WOW pass at a discounted rate.
- When: Monday, May 6, 2013 12:00 - 12:30 pm
- Where: Johnson Field
- When: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:00 - 12:30 pm
- Where: Between College of Pharmacy/College of Nursing Building and Library
Bike to Work Day: May 17
Turn your commute into daily exercise by riding your bike into work.
The Outdoor/Bike Shop in Johnson Center offers a variety of services to keep
your bike in top shape. They have provided an
ABC Quick Check video to help you give your bike a quick inspection to be
sure you're riding as safely and efficiently as possible.
Free Outdoor Yoga Class
EHP will lead a yoga class on Main campus. Come enjoy yoga in a natural, outdoor setting to help improve your flexibility and reduce stress.
- When: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:00 - 1:00 pm
- Where: Grassy area south of Scholes Hall.
On the Hunt for Wellness
During the entire month of May, search the campus and hunt down health and wellness offerings available to faculty and staff. You will learn how to take advantage of campus wellness benefits and earn the chance to win prizes at the same time.
Using the scavenger hunt tracking sheet and map provided below, find as many locations as possible. At each location, find the On the Hunt for Wellness flyer that contains a wellness "clue" (view sample flyer). Record this clue on your hunt tracking sheet. Note that some locations do not have posted flyers. For those locations, the tracking sheet will provide instructions on finding an alternate clue. The more clues you find, the better your chances to win!
Submit your Tracking Sheet by Tuesday, June 4, 2013 to be included in the prize drawing. Tracking Sheets may be submitted as follows:
- Email to email@example.com
- Fax to (505) 277-2278
- Deliver in person to the HR Service Center (1700 Lomas Blvd SE)
Scavenger Hunt Location Map
On the Hunt for Wellness in a
Many prizes will be available, including:
Prizes will be awarded by random drawing from submitted scavenger hunt tracking sheets. Entries in the random drawing will be based on the number of locations found in the scavenger hunt:
- 5 locations = 1 entry
- 10 locations = 3 entries
- 15 locations = 5 entries
- 20 locations = 8 entries
The more locations you find, the better your chance of winning!
Contact Employee Health Promotion with any questions at (505) 272-4460 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scavenger hunt prizes are available to UNM benefits-eligible faculty and staff. Prizes will be awarded through a random drawing held on June 5, 2013. Individuals must submit a completed scavenger hunt tracking sheet in order to be entered in the random drawing. Prizewinners will be announced on this website, as well as in the Mid-Month Update email sent out by Human Resources on Wednesday, June 12, 2013. Winners will choose prizes on a first-come, first-serve basis and have until Friday, June 21, 2013 to collect.
Per University Administrative Policy #3235, recognition awards, both monetary and non-monetary, may result in taxable income to the employee. In accordance with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, all monetary awards, regardless of the amount, result in taxable income to the employee and are subject to federal and state income tax and social security withholding.