Your Human Resources (HR) Consultant and Employee and Organizational Development
(EOD) collaborate to offer a wide range of consulting services. This
partnership is comprised of subject matter experts dedicated to support
your specific business needs. If you are interested in any of the
following services contact your HR Consultant at 277-2013 or EOD at
When to Contact a Consultant
The Division of Human Resources (HR) provides strategic, long-term,
forward-thinking consultation to include, but not limited to, helping
the organization prepare for change, forecasting human capital needs for
specialized skills and knowledge to achieve strategic goals; talent
management; restructures; and developing performance management systems
that support strategic objectives.
Your HR Consultant
- Provides operational day to day human resources guidance to include
recruitment and hiring for current staff job openings, resolving
complaints, and improving communication with employees,
- Provides administrative support focused on compliance issues and
record keeping via the HRIT services to manage HR data and create
compliance reports, and
- Serves as a change agent in support of continuous improvement and
Your HR Consultant provides consultation regarding your
organization's human resources initiatives to include:
- Staff planning and employment;
- Staff compensation and benefits;
- Employment laws, regulations, and University of New Mexico policies
- Performance management; and
- Occupational health and safety.
Your HR Consultant and Employee and Organizational Development
partner to provide tools and processes to enhance knowledge, skills and
abilities in the areas of:
- Conflict management
- Managing change
- Strategic management
- Team building
Your HR Consultant assists organizations in building networks of HR
professionals and encouraging sharing of best HR practices. You may
acquire HR support and understand the resources available at the
University of New Mexico through your HR Consultant. The Division of
Human Resources provides avenues of communication to ensure you are
aware of changes in HR that affects your organization.
In addition, your HR Consultant and Employee and Organizational
Development (EOD) partner to offer a more in-depth perspective on
training in the areas of:
We all need objective feedback, support, and guidance to grow and
develop. Coaching is a tailored one-on-one process that provides
individuals with support to increase job effectiveness. The Division of
Human Resources can provide coaching to help examine workplace behavior,
style, and explore alternatives that may be more effective.
Individual coaching is voluntary, confidential and goal-oriented. For
managers, your HR Consultant and EOD partner to identify higher-level
department specific needs such as training or performance management. We
may provide you feedback on your leadership skills that will enhance the
performance of your organization. We can address overall development
needs or focus on context-specific situations. Additionally, we can
offer guidance on appropriate resources and tools available to managers.
How would your customers rate the service they receive from your
department? If you can't answer that question - or if you don't want to
answer it - EOD can help.
Customer Service is an integral part of the University's Strategic
Plan. To help departments align with this strategy, EOD offers services
to help individuals, teams, and departments improve customer service.
Based on an initial assessment, EOD may help you select the best plan
for improving customer service.
EOD offers a wide range of customized support services, including:
- Assistance with the design and analysis of customer surveys,
- Design and facilitation of focus groups,
- Teambuilding sessions to improve service through teamwork,
- Customized training,
- Help with setting service goals and standards,
- Training to prepare staff members for delivering in-house customer
service classes, and
- Customer Service specifically designed for Student Employees.
Your HR Consultant and EOD partner to help you conduct productive
meetings and retreats. Our HR professionals are trained to provide
structure for effective communication among group members, focusing on
the delicate balance of group dynamics, and group process. Our services
include helping you develop a realistic meeting agenda, guiding the
meeting process, moving groups beyond disagreement and conflict, helping
groups reach decisions, and developing action plans for post-meeting
implementation. Your HR Consultant and EOD work closely together after
the facilitation session to assist you with the implementation of your
Examples of when you may benefit from professional meeting
- Committee and project team meetings,
- Board retreats,
- Annual meetings,
- Focus groups, and
- Workgroup planning retreats.
As facilitators, we see meetings and retreats as an opportunity for
group leaders and members to learn effective processes for creating,
planning, problem-solving, and decision-making.
Strategic Planning is a decision-making process that asks the right
questions, focuses on the future of your department, and identifies the
steps to get where you want to go. Your HR Consultant and EOD partner to
assist managers with a planning process for organizing and conducting
both short and long-range planning with your staff. Whether you are
planning for a large or small department, this strategic planning
framework will help you plan in a way that will drive decision-making
and reduce the unexpected.
Effective planning involves the use of a structured organizational
assessment that asks the following questions:
- What is our mission?
- Who are our customers?
- What do our customers value?
- What are the results we seek and how do we define these results?
- What is our plan and what will be our goals?
- How do these goals align with UNM big picture goals?
Your HR professionals offer strategic planning for your department,
either through one-on-one consultation or by facilitating a departmental
Team-building is a planned process that utilizes a structured set of
strategies and activities designed to improve team performance and
teamwork. Team-building is offered to new and existing teams as well as
special work groups such as project task forces or committees.
Team building generally focuses on four major areas:
- Assessment of team effectiveness,
- Goal and task accomplishment,
- Relationships and communication, and
- Leadership and team processes.
What We Do... EOD offers a broad spectrum of Team-building Services
- Confidential manager/team leader consultation,
- Design of teambuilding sessions and retreats,
- Facilitation of teambuilding sessions and retreats,
- Training seminars focused on high performance team development and
group processes, offered through EOD's open enrollment workshops or
customized for existing teams,
- Personalized coaching for team leaders, and
- Activities that take place onsite at your location, or at EOD's
How We Do It
EOD, in collaboration with your HR Consultant, the team leader, or
work-group manager, begins a confidential consultation, followed by an
assessment session with the entire team. Favoring a participatory
approach, we work with the leader and members to design a customized
team development intervention. In most cases, we will facilitate team
building activities. We can also train and coach team leaders who prefer
to facilitate their own team building sessions.
Here are examples of situations that would benefit from team-building
- A team has too many conflicting priorities and members feel that
they've lost their sense of focus and purpose. They want to hold a
retreat in order to create a new mission and vision statement.
- A newly-formed team is having difficulty coming to agreement on
- A team leader is seeking ways to build motivation, and morale and
energize his/her team.
- A manager/leader is launching a new project team and is seeking
advice in how to recruit the right mix of people.
- Political issues and delicate egos have begun to compromise a
- A team feels it is not getting the support it needs from
management. A team leader is looking for ideas on ways to recognize
and reward his/her team's successes.
Your HR Consultant can provide HR Presents training to your
organization. HR Presents is a series of one-to-two-hour presentations
that can be conducted at your work location. These training sessions
will provide you and your staff with timely information about specific
employment laws, regulations, and University of New Mexico (UNM)
policies, procedures, and practices. For more information, please visit