Request a Background Check
Department Specific Position Background Check
- Complete the Memo to Request Position Specific Background Check and send it to your departments' HR Consultant via email for approval.
- If applicable, once HR approval is obtained, departments will receive an approval email from the assigned HR Consultant.
- The department will be required to attach the email approval to the posting request/action in UNMJobs.
Background Check Request Process
- Departments should complete the Request for Background Check Form* and submit the request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Regarding background checks for supervisors of minors - departments should complete the Background Check Form and submit the request via email to email@example.com.
- Should the department position title require fingerprinting as set out by the New Mexico Department of Health or the New Mexico Department of Children, Youth and Families, the department should reference the Fingerprinting Packet designated to and for each State agency and follow the instructions provided. Please note, depending on the background check elements required, additional steps and forms may need to be submitted along with the Request for Background Check Form.
- The applicant will be sent a link from Sterling Info Systems, UNM's background check vendor, inviting the finalist to submit their consent and provide identifying information to complete the background check. The applicant will also receive a copy of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) information when they are asked to provide consent.
*If the candidate does not have an email address, the department should have the applicant complete and sign the hard copy Applicant Consent and Disclosure Form and submit it with the Request for Background Check Form. In these cases, the department will also be responsible for printing out a copy of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) for the applicant to keep.