Updated March 18, 2020
Due to the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak, many UNM employees have suddenly and unexpectedly found themselves having to work from home, using their personal resources such as cell phones and home internet to conduct University business. As a result, President Stokes has approved an optional payment to Tier 1 and Tier 2 faculty and staff to help defray the cost of conducting University business from home.
Deans, Directors, Department Heads and supervisors may authorize a $40 partial reimbursement to eligible Tier 1 and Tier 2 employees who are working remotely. The payment is intended to reimburse a portion of the employee’s personal resources that are being used for UNM business, such as cell phone or internet. Each $40 reimbursement is for a 4- week period and may be renewed every 4 weeks as long as an employee is working remotely due to COVID-19 precautions.
The University will waive the usual requirement of attached documentation of financial cost of personal cell phone or internet service, provided the employee can provide documentation at a later date if requested.
- Employee must have been designated as Tier 1 or Tier 2 staff by their Dean, Director, Department Head, or supervisor for the COVID-19 limited operations period on campus.
- Employees currently receiving UNM Cell Phone Reimbursements of $40 or more are not eligible.
- COVID-19 partial reimbursements are paid for 4-week periods, retroactive to employee’s first day working remotely, no earlier than March 17th.
How to Process
Payments should be processed in Chrome River using the Report Type, “Employee Other.” The user should also select the “Employee Other” tile and select “Telecomm” from the “Type” Drop-Down list.
The Business Purpose must include ALL of the following for the payment to be approved:
- The words, “COVID-19 Partial Reimbursement"
- Employee’s designation of either “Tier 1” or “Tier 2”
- 4-Week period the payment is intended to cover (ex. March 17th – April 13th, 2020).