Updated May 3, 2021
The following Guidelines apply to UNM Main & Branch Campuses
For HSC Guidelines, see HSC Business Travel and Food Restrictions.
For Guidelines specific to Research see the Guidelines for Main and Branch Campus Research.
Effective May 3, 2021, business meal/food restrictions are lifted.
As of May 3, 2021, Main and Branch Campus employees may resume purchasing business meals or refreshments, without the formerly required written exception, for in-person gatherings such as meetings, conferences, luncheons and celebrations. These purchases shall follow UAP 4000, Section 5, and gatherings must comply with public health order restrictions.
Travel FAQs for Main and Branch Campuses
Effective May 16, 2021, business travel restrictions are lifted*.
As of May 16, 2021, business travel may recommence with no restrictions. Employees may now book conferences, seminars and other events as needed that are scheduled to occur on or after May 16 while following UNM’s regular Travel procedures.
UNM will continue to follow CDC guidance on intrastate and international travel. Employees should follow the suggested days for quarantining upon return as it applies to their type of travel and vaccination status.
UNM will not be reopening the Travel Reporting Portal that was in place in 2020. Supervisors will be responsible for approving travel and employees with questions may continue to contact the UNM COVID Call Center at 505-515-8212 for advice.
The following recommendations are provided for travel by road vehicle:
- Travel in personal cars should be limited to only two occupants within the vehicle and ventilation should be provided at all times, unless riders are fully vaccinated.
- Travel within larger shared vehicles (e.g. passenger vans) should provide ventilation and 6-foot social distancing, unless all riders are fully vaccinated.
- Regardless of vaccination status, occupants should continue to wear masks at all times and avoid consuming food and beverage while in the vehicle.
Effective thru May 15, 2021, business travel restrictions remain in place.
Due to the continued effects of the current COVID-19 pandemic, UNM is continuing with the travel restrictions put in place May 2020. These restrictions apply to all faculty, staff, students and visitors for our Main and Branch campuses. UNM Main and Branch campus travel is prohibited, other than the exceptions noted below.
- Travel bookings for conferences, seminars, and other events during this restriction period must be canceled at this time. Travelers must attempt to obtain refunds directly from the applicable airline, conference provider or travel-related vendor. Many airlines and travel-related vendors are waiving fees for cancellations and changes. Employees may receive reimbursement for out-of-pocket travel costs paid with personal funds for trips that are now prohibited if the traveler is unable to obtain a refund from the travel vendor.
- For Main and Branch Campus, travel may be allowable for COVID-19-related research activity, when specifically required for sponsored projects, or for athletic related activities/recruitment.
- For HSC, travel may be allowable for COVID-19-related research activity, clinical patient care (locums, residents, and direct patient care), such as resident or student away rotations, or when specifically required for sponsored projects.
- Any exception must be approved in writing, in advance, by the applicable Chancellor, Dean or VP.
*Future purchases for university-related travel and food may require cancellation if required by public health order restrictions.