Internship / Field Experience Program
EHP's field experience program is designed to provide UNM students with a working and learning experience in employee health promotion.
The student, EHP staff, and advising professor will agree upon responsibilities and a work schedule in the beginning of the semester. Responsibilities may include: assisting with strategic planning goals and operational objectives for ongoing employee health promotion, contributing to program development and implementation, preparing, providing and/or coordinating wellness presentations, contributing articles for newsletters, and/or completing one major project. The field experience is on a "non-paid" basis.
- To provide students with training and experience in a worksite health promotion program that will enhance their marketability in the field.
- To aid students in becoming more adept in the key skills required for employment in the health promotion field.
- To increase the student's working knowledge of basic physiological and psychological principles associated with risk factor intervention.
- To incorporate the student's perspective into the program to enhance quality and effectiveness.
- To acquaint students with the complex nature of delivering health promotion programs to UNM's diverse work community.
Graduate and undergraduate candidates may apply for the field experience. All candidates are to have a minimum junior level standing with course work completed toward a degree in health education, nutrition, exercise science, or a similar health-related field. To be considered as a candidate for a field experience position, the student should also demonstrate the following personal qualities and educational standards:
- The ability to communicate effectively with others.
- The ability to listen and carry out directions accurately.
- Professional presentation.
- An education foundation in the health, nutrition, and/or fitness field with a general understanding of health risk factors and behavior change principles.
The student will be expected to:
- Commit to the agreed upon hours to complete the field study/internship experience.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all records, participant assessments, and proprietary information.
- Sign a field experience agreement.
Those interested in being considered for an internship with UNM's EHP program must submit the following items by the deadline corresponding with the desired experience period: