Voluntary Retirement Plans
403(b) and 457(b)
As a UNM employee*, you have the option to contribute to tax-deferred voluntary retirement plans in addition to making the mandatory contributions required for most employees to the New Mexico ERB pension or Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP).
Plan investment providers include TIAA, Fidelity, Valic, and Voya. UNM does not provide financial or tax advice to employees or retirees. Please consult with a financial or tax advisor. To schedule a personal appointment with a representative from the investment providers above, visit:
To open a new account, choose investment providers, change your contribution or investment providers, please log into Retirement@Work:
- Contributions to either plan are deducted from your paycheck and sent to the investment provider on your behalf.
- Contributions are subject to the expenses, gains, or losses of the investment(s) chosen and subject to annual IRS limits each calendar year.
- Contributions to either or both voluntary plans can currently be made pre-tax. Applicable federal and state taxes are deferred on pre-tax contributions and earnings and withdrawals are taxable.
- For more information about voluntary 403(b) and 457(b) plans, please refer to the IRS website at
IRC 403(b) Tax-Sheltered Annuity Plans or
IRC 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plans
- UNM is committed to providing the resources you need to help prepare for retirement. Please watch for more communications dedicated to helping you make the most of your retirement benefits.
- To learn more about the voluntary UNM 403(b) and 457(b) retirement plans and the plan options available to employees, contact HR Service Center at (505) 277-6947.
*For help with Retirement Manager or Retirement@Work system, or to request a copy of the Plan Documents, contact Payroll at (505) 277-2353.