Supplemental Retirement Plans
403(b) and 457(b) Tax-deferred Annuities
As a UNM employee*, you have the option to contribute to tax-deferred annuities (TDAs).
Plan providers include TIAA, Fidelity, Valic, Voya, and MetLife. To schedule a personal appointment, visit:
To open a new account or manage your existing account, please log into Retirement Manager:
Please note that UNM does not endorse any of the companies listed nor has it evaluated their respective retirement plans.
- Contributions to either plan are deducted on a pre-tax basis and sent to the company on the employee's behalf.
- The contributions are subject to the expenses, gains, or losses of the investment(s) chosen.
- The contributions are also subject to annual IRS limits that change each calendar year.
- Applicable federal and state taxes on these contributions are deferred until distributed to the employee either through refund or retirement.
- For more information on 403(b) and 457(b) plans, please refer to the IRS website at
IRC 403(b) Tax-Sheltered Annuity Plans or
IRC 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plans
Log into Retirement Manager to enroll.
Distributions from these plans
- Distributions from these plans prior to the eligible age of 59 1/2 are subject to a mandatory
20% withholding of federal taxes on distributions unless the funds are rolled over to another qualified retirement plan.
- In the event of separation from UNM you may request a refund or rollover of all contributions made to the plan.
- Contact the 403(b) or 457(b) provider directly to request directions on distribution.
Register for Retirement Classes through Learning Central.
The Retirement Overview Modules are also available online: Register for optional retirement-related classes through Learning Central or call Employee and Organizational Development (EOD) at 505-277-1555 to register. The Retirement Overview Modules are also available online. For more information, visit the Retirement Classes webpage.
Employees within four to six months of retirement can bring completed retirement paperwork to the “I Want to Retire Now” class for review prior to submitting paperwork to Human Resources.