Voluntary Retirement Plans
403(b) and 457(b)
As a UNM employee*, you have the option to contribute to tax-deferred voluntary retirement plans in addition to making the mandatory contributions required for most employees to the New Mexico ERB pension or Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP).
You can now make post-tax Roth contributions to both plans as well as pre-tax contributions. Roth rollovers into the plans and in-plan conversions from pre-tax to Roth are also available. Please see the attached Roth Flyer for more information. Contact your investment provider for help with rollovers and in-plan conversions.
403(b) and 457(b) Plan Highlights
- Contributions to either or both plans are deducted from your paycheck and sent to the investment provider on your behalf.
- Contributions are subject to the expenses, gains, or losses of the investment(s) chosen and subject to annual IRS limits each calendar year.
- Contributions to either or both voluntary plans can be made as pre-tax and/or Roth.
- Pre-tax contributions can grow tax-deferred and withdrawals are taxable.
- Roth contributions are made after-tax, grow tax-deferred, and have potential to be accessed tax free later.
- Please consult with a tax advisor or see the Guide to Retirement@Work for details.
- For more information about voluntary 403(b) and 457(b) plans, please refer to the IRS website at IRC 403(b) Tax-Sheltered Annuity Plans or IRC 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plans
Plan investment providers include AIG, Fidelity, TIAA, and Voya. UNM does not provide financial or tax advice to employees or retirees. Please consult with a financial or tax advisor. To schedule a personal financial planning appointment with a representative from the investment providers above, visit:
To open a new account, choose investment providers, change your contribution or investment providers, please log into Retirement@Work:
- • Visit Retirement@Work
- Please note: You may need to use Internet Explorer or Firefox if experiencing any challenges with access via Chrome.
- Guide to Retirement@Work
- For help, call Retirement@Work at 844-567-9090, weekdays, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Saturday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. (MT)
- UNM is committed to providing the resources you need to help prepare for retirement.
- To learn more about the voluntary UNM 403(b) and 457(b) retirement plans and the plan options available to employees, email Benefits & Employee Wellness at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To request a copy of the Plan Documents, contact Payroll at (505) 277-2353.