New Hiring Review Process (HRP)
Main Campus: I&G and Non-I&G Unrestricted
In an effort to balance the budget in the short-term and be fiscally responsible in the long-term, UNM leadership has established a budget action plan for FY 2016. As part of this plan, effective October 9,
UNM leadership will participate in an Executive Review of all vacant positions prior to posting. Each regular staff position that becomes vacant will be evaluated to determine if the position, as requested, is the best way to satisfy UNM's business needs.
The following guidelines are for hiring regular staff, I&G and Non-I&G unrestricted positions, on Main Campus. Contract and Grant-funded positions are not included in the Hiring Review Process (HRP), nor are any student hires. UNM Health Sciences Center and branch campuses are also excluded from the HRP.
A summary overview of the HRP is available at your convenience.
Guidelines for HRP:
Effective October 9, 2015, UNM instituted an HRP on Main Campus for regular staff positions that become vacant. The review process includes all Main Campus I&G and Non-I&G indices that have a fund code beginning with 2U that are not currently posted. Additionally, all positions with any portion of funding budgeted from I&G and Non-I&G unrestricted sources are also required to obtain Executive Review approval prior to posting.
Please follow these steps for affected positions you are requesting to post:
- Complete an HRP request form, identifying the position, the duties of the position, and the justification for filling the position. The completed form must include organizational charts depicting the reporting structure of the requested position.
- The request must be at a budget not to exceed the mid-point of the pay range.*
- Forward the form to the appropriate VP/Director, who will approve or disapprove the request.
- If approved by the VP/Director, forward the form to the Office of Planning, Budget and Analysis (OPBA) at email@example.com or the Office of the Provost at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OPBA and the Provost's Office staff will compile weekly reports for Executive Review. Executive Review decisions will be made at least once per month, as follows:
- Approve at the requested title/grade,
- Approve at a different title/grade,
- Deny the request, or
- Send to HR for evaluation or data/explanation.
- Final decisions of the Executive Review will go to the OPBA or the Office of the Provost, who will then inform the requesting VP/Director of the decision.
- The approved HRP form must be attached electronically in UNMJobs when submitting the action to Human Resources for posting.
*Every hiring request must go through this HRP initially budgeted at the mid-point or below. A request to hire above the mid-point must obtain approval through the HRP process described above, then must obtain separate approval from OPBA or Office of the Provost for the additional funds to hire above the mid-point. The OPBA or Office of the Provost approval to exceed the mid-point must be attached to the hiring proposal and submitted to HR prior to extending an offer of employment.
Questions from Academic units regarding this process should be sent to email@example.com. All other units should contact their HR Consultant.