The University of New Mexico (UNM) values the skills and experience military veterans bring to the institution. We are honored you are considering UNM as the next step on your career path. This page is dedicated to assist you in successfully participating in the hiring process for this program.
First, why work for UNM? We offer competitive benefit packages, are one of the largest employers in the State and have a unique work culture defined by the various talents brought together by an array of diverse constituents.
- What is Veteran Preference at UNM?
- What are the requirements to qualify?
- How do I declare my intent to participate?
- How can I tell if a position is eligible for the Veteran Preference Program?
- What other Veteran Programs are available at UNM?
What is Veteran Preference at UNM?
The Veteran Preference program grants qualified veterans additional consideration for vacant staff positions posted on UNMJobs (UNM’s online job application system). Qualified veterans who elect to participate in the program will be granted a minimum of an initial interview for all regular staff positions, excluding contract staff classifications, for which they have applied. To qualify for the program you must have received an honorable discharge from your most recent separation from the military.
What are the requirements to qualify?
In order to qualify for the UNM Veteran Preference program you must:
- Apply to an eligible position via UNMJobs and submit a complete application (meeting all application requirements such as field requirements, attachments, special instructions noted) as indicated in the job ad
- Apply prior to or no later than the “For Best Consideration Date” stated in the posting
- Meet the minimum qualifications stated in the posting
- Elect participation in the Veteran Preference program as asked per a brief questionnaire appearing in your application
- To your online application, attach your DD214 form, displaying your military status, dates of service and discharge type. Character of Service field must list HONORABLE for the most recent separation from the military.
How do I declare my intent to participate?
When submitting your application through UNMJobs, you must elect participation in the Veteran Preference program. During the application process, you must select Yes for the following question:
To confirm your honorable discharge status, you must attach your DD214 form to the Resume and Application section of the online application. The Character of Service field must list HONORABLE for the most recent separation from the military.
Note: When applying to multiple jobs, you must elect participation in the Veteran Preference program and attach your DD214 to your application each time.
How can I tell if a position is eligible for the Veteran Preference Program?
All regular and term staff positions are eligible for the Veteran Preference program. To determine eligibility, the Staff Type field within the job posting must state:
- Regular – Full-Time
- Regular – Part-Time
- Term – Full-Time
- Term – Part-Time
An example from a staff posting is given below:
What other Veteran programs are available at UNM?
Check out the Veterans Preference Resource Center for programs other than employment.