The University of New Mexico values the skills and experience military veterans bring to the workforce. The Veteran Hiring Preference program grants qualified veterans additional consideration for vacant staff positions available within the UNM system. Qualified veterans who elect to participate in the program will be granted a minimum of an initial interview for all regular staff positions, excluding contract staff classifications, for which they have applied.
For Veteran Applicants
Welcome, Veteran! We are honored you are considering UNM as the next step on your career path. This page is dedicated to assist you in successfully participating in the hiring process for this program.
First, why work for UNM? We offer competitive benefit packages, are one of the largest employers in the State and have a unique work culture defined by the various talents brought together by an array of diverse constituents. See our UNM Work + Life page for more of the many reasons UNM is a great place to be. Please also stop by our Veterans Resource Center for more dedicated veteran services that UNM has to offer.
How to Apply to Participate in the Program
- Apply to an eligible position via UNMJobs for which you meet the minimum requirements. Tip! Use the Veterans Job Matcher (sponsored by the U.S. DOL) to find civilian job titles that you may use as a guide in seeking out positions listed on the UNMJobs portal.
- Be sure to complete the application thoroughly and include any additional documentation or comments as requested per the application instructions.
- Submit your application prior to or no later than the “For Best Consideration Date” stated in the job posting.
- Elect participation in the Veteran Preference program when asked via the questionnaire step during your application process. You will select “yes” to the question that looks like this.
- To confirm your honorable discharge status, you must attach your DD214 form to the Resume and Application section of the online application. The Character of Service field must list HONORABLE for the most recent separation from the military. Tip! Don’t have your form? Request your military service records from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Note: When applying to multiple jobs, you must elect participation in the Veteran Preference program and attach your DD214 to your application each time.
How can I tell if a position is eligible for the Veteran Preference Program?
All regular and term staff positions are eligible for the Veteran Preference program. To determine eligibility, the Staff Type field within the job posting must state:
- Regular – Full-Time
- Regular – Part-Time
- Term – Full-Time
- Term – Part-Time
An example from a staff posting is given below:
For Hiring Departments
For instructions on managing your applicant pool that includes Veterans, see step 3.2 Veteran Hiring Preference Program in the Hiring Guides section of the Employment Knowledge Base.
Use the Civilian-to-Military Occupation Translator (sponsored by the U.S. DOL) to identify relevant military experience by matching key words from your job opening to military careers that use similar skills.
Check out the Veterans Resource Center for programs other than employment.