Running stairs is an effective high-intensity workout. Walking or running stairs increases cardiovascular fitness, agility, and speed. With the Stadium Stair Challenge approaching, here are some to-do’s when running stairs.
- Ensure that the stairs are safe. Check to see if the stairs are dry, nonslip, wide enough for your entire foot to fit on, and have a handrail for stability.
- Do a warm-up for 5-10 minutes before running stairs.
- Run stairs at the beginning of a workout after a warm-up while your mind is still sharp.
- Stay alert.
- Start slow and walk stairs.
- Give yourself a little extra rest in between sets to reduce early fatigue.
- Lean forward slightly and keep good posture.
Lastly, don’t forget to have fun! Jam out to some good music, soak up the sun, and enjoy a different workout.