Criteria for Background Checks
All regular staff positions (includes Term and Contract) are required to successfully complete a comprehensive background check. Background checks for Temporary and On-Call positions will be determined by the hiring officials in conjunction with the criteria outlined in UAP 3280: Background Checks, Section 2, Safety and Security Positions.
Background Check Request Process
- Background checks for regular staff positions will be done by HR during the hiring process
- Hiring officials will indicate a background check will be required by checking the “Yes” box in the UNMJobs requisition for temporary and on-call positions
- For compliance with UAP 2205: Minors on Campus or for other legal requirements departments will complete the Background Check Request.
- Should the department position title require fingerprinting as set out by the New Mexico Department of Health or the New Mexico Department of Children, Youth and Families, the department should reference the Fingerprinting Packet designated to and for each State agency and follow the instructions provided. Please note, depending on the background check elements required, additional steps and forms may need to be submitted along with the Background Check Request.
- The applicant will be sent a link from Sterling Info Systems, UNM's background check vendor, inviting the finalist to submit their consent and provide identifying information to complete the background check. The applicant will also receive a copy of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) information when they are asked to provide consent.
*If the candidate does not have an email address, the department should have the applicant complete and sign the hard copy Applicant Consent and Disclosure Form and submit it with the Background Check Request. In these cases, the department will also be responsible for printing out a copy of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) for the applicant to keep.