Staff Incentive Program
The following information will help facilitate the process of developing a staff incentive program. This outline contains the necessary elements to illustrate opportunities for all staff to be recognized and appreciated. It is intended to assist departments/divisions in creating an incentive program. New and revised programs must be reviewed by Human Resources and your Department Budget Officer. Contact your HR Consultant for further information or questions.
The staff incentive program focuses on monetary incentives which reward employees for pre-determined goals and achievements outside of their day-to-day responsibilities. These incentives recognize ongoing performance and productivity through a one-time payment.
- Successful completion of probation or trial period
- Regular Staff
- .50 FTE and above
- Most recent performance evaluation rating was successful overall.
- Evaluation must be filed in official personnel file.
- Is in good standing, has no pending or documented disciplinary actions within the last 12 months
- Ensure the program meets Policy 3235: Staff Recognition Programs
- If applicable, each department is responsible for securing funding for their incentive program
- Establish incentives for up to three goals
- It is important for each goal to provide a meaningful incentive
- Total incentive will typically not exceed 1-3% of the employee’s annual base salary per goal
- Predefined goals must be established and approved by executive leadership or designee of the Level 3 Organization
- Goals must be measurable (SMART) and achieved
- Payout frequency can occur quarterly, bi-annually, or annually, and be tied specifically to performance evaluation plan
- An employee may only be on one incentive plan at any given time
- Determine communication methods used to ensure eligible staff participants are aware of the program
Create Your Program
Departments should identify, define, and document the program they have developed using the Staff Incentive Request Form. New and revised programs must be reviewed by Human Resources and your Department Budget Officer.
All department Staff Recognition programs must be in accordance with the Antidonation Clause of New Mexico Constitution, UAP 2480: Incentives for Program Participants, and UAP 3235: Staff Recognition Programs.
Determine program outcomes. Consider these examples:
- Improves unit/division/department goal attainment
- Supports a culture of “Workplace of Choice"
- Supports and values staff efforts in relation to the University’s Mission and Guiding Principles
Determine which practices will drive your recognition program.
- Is the recognition clearly linked to unit goals?
- Is it an open and fair process?
- Is the plan supervisory or team recognition?
If you would like guidance or assistance in establishing your recognition program, contact your HR Consultant.
Create Your Program
- The incentive program must have pre-defined goals documented on the Staff Incentive Request Form
- Meet with your HR Consultant for final review and approval of the incentive program
- Upon approval of the proposed program, the department will submit the staff incentive program and Non-Standard Payment Form to your HR Consultant