About Qualifying Change in Status Events
The UNM-sponsored group health plans have a pre-tax status and are, therefore, governed by IRS regulations. Once you in enroll in coverage for medical, dental, vision, or a Flexible Spending Account, you cannot make changes to these plans outside of the annual Open Enrollment period, unless you experience a Qualifying Change in Status Event (also knowns as a Qualifying Life Event).
Changes to your plan must be made within 60 calendar days of the Qualifying Change in Status Event.
Qualifying Change in Status Events include but are not limited to the following. Keep in mind that the change in benefits you are seeking must match the event that occurred. A change in one type of event may not allow for a change in other benefit elections. For example, if you have a child, you may not use that event to also discontinue dental coverage for a spouse.
- Birth, adoption, or gain of legal guardianship
- Divorce, legal separation, or annulment of marriage
- Death of employee, or of spouse or dependent
- The 26th birthday of your unmarried mentally or physically disabled child (an extension of coverage must be submitted)
- Employee or spouse employment change from part-time to full-time, or full-time to part-time, resulting in a change in eligibility
- Employee or spouse significant health coverage change attributable to spouse's employment
- Employment termination or commencement for the employee, a spouse, or a dependent
- Gain or Loss of other health coverage (including HealthCare Exchange coverage)
- Establishment or dissolution of qualified domestic partnership
Use the Qualifying Change In Status Event: Required Support Documentation guide to help identify documents you may have that demonstrate the event you have experienced from the list above.
Adding a Dependent
If you are adding a dependent you will be required to provide proof documents within 31 days of your enrollment request. Please note that it is your responsibility to be sure that all the dependents you enroll and continue to cover are eligible for benefits in accordance with the terms and conditions of the plan.
For medical coverage, upon receipt of your enrollment form, the Benefits department will notify its third-party dependent verification company, Alight Solutions. Alight Solutions will mail you instructions to your address on file and a deadline date to provide proof documents via fax or upload to their online portal.
If you are electing dental and/or vision only, provide copies of proof documents to the HR Service Center at the John and June Perovich Business Center, located at 1700 Lomas Blvd. NE, Suite 1400, or fax them to 505.277.2278.
See the Proof Documents Submission Requirements info sheet for a summary of what is required for those that are newly benefits eligible versus those who qualify for a change in status.
Removing a Dependent
It is your responsibility to dis-enroll your dependent within 60 calendar days of a qualifying event. Otherwise, you may be liable for any claims incurred by the ineligible dependent. In most cases, a dependent may be eligible to continue insurance coverage through the provisions of COBRA. Keep in mind that a dependent loses eligibility to participate in UNM sponsored plans if any of the following qualifying events occur:
- Dependent child turns 26 (coverage ends at the end of the month of your child’s 26th birthday)
- Divorce from a spouse
- Dissolution of a domestic partnership
To dis-enroll your dependent, you must submit election changes via the Enrollment/Change Form and provide supporting documentation.