Enrollment in benefits at UNM may be done when one of the following three situations apply:
- New Hire or Newly Benefits Eligible: (Information on this page): Enroll via the paper forms provided here or as provided in your new employee orientation.
- Open Enrollment: The annual Open Enrollment period is typically held in April/May. Enroll or make changes by following the instructions provided during Open Enrollment.
- Qualifying Change in Status: When you experience a Qualifying Change in Status, such as a new baby, loss of other health coverage, or marriage. Enroll or make changes via the paper forms provided on the Qualifying Change in Status page.
Submit paper forms to the HR Service Center in-person or via fax to 505-277-2278. Do not send benefit forms through UNM interdepartmental mail.
A benefits representative will review and process your elections within 24-48 business hours of receipt and approval of your form.
New to UNM or Newly Benefits-Eligible?
IMPORTANT: You have 60 calendar days from the start date of your new position to enroll in health benefits.
When an employee is hired into a benefits-eligible position at UNM, whether it be their first job with the University or due to a job change within the University, the employee has 60 calendar days to enroll in their benefits. Review our eligibility page for a listing of benefits-eligible position types.
If enrollment does not take place within the allotted 60 calendar days for:
Medical, Dental, Vision and/or a Flexible Spending Plan, employees and their dependents will not be able to enroll until a Qualifying Change in Status or Open Enrollment occurs.
Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and/or Short/Long Term Disability benefits (while certain provisions of guaranteed issue are accessible), employees may still enroll, but their application will be subject to medical underwriting (known as Evidence of Insurability) for approval. Otherwise, employees may wait for reduced levels of guaranteed issue during the following Open Enrollment period.
Long-Term Care insurance, then employees may still enroll, but their application will be subject to medical underwriting (known as Evidence of Insurability) for approval. Enrollment for spouse/domestic partner/family requires medical underwriting regardless of the time of enrollment.
Language Assistance/Nondiscrimination Notice
Newly Hired or Newly Benefits-Eligible Employees Enrollment
MEDICAL | DENTAL | VISION
- Select a Medical Insurance plan.
- Identify your eligible dependents for enrollment if applicable. Read about dependent eligibility and be aware that you will have to provide documents confirming proof of dependency.
- Complete the Medical/Dental/Vision Enrollment/Change form.
Benefit elections are effective the first day of the month after they have been received and approved, however you do have one of two options for the effective date of your medical coverage only. Indicate your selection on the form for the following:
- Option 1: Medical benefits are effective the first day of the month after the completed Enrollment Form is received and approved by the Benefits Department, or
- Option 2: Medical benefits are effective the date the completed Enrollment Form is received and approved by the Benefits Department
Note: Premiums will not be prorated regardless of the date your coverage becomes effective?
FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNTS (FSA)
- Select one or both of our two FSA plans - Health Care Flexible Spending Account and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account.
- Complete the enrollment form. Visit the FSA webpage for more information.
LIFE | ACCIDENTAL DEATH & DISMEMBERMENT | DISABILITY
- Select a plan:
- Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Long-Term Disability
- Short-Term Disability
- Complete the Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and Disability Benefits enrollment form. Benefit elections are effective the first day of the month after they have been received and approved.
- Review UNM’s long-term care insurance plan offered through Unum (pronounced you-num).
- Complete the Unum online enrollment process. Benefit elections are effective the first day of the month after they have been received and approved.
HR Service Center
John and June Perovich Business Center
1700 Lomas Boulevard, N.E.
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505-277-6947(MyHR) | firstname.lastname@example.org