Do you struggle to manage your weight? Are you looking for a program with proven results? LifeSteps combines a realistic approach to food with physical activity and group support. And by emphasizing simple behavior changes, it's designed to work with your lifestyle.
LifesSteps isn’t a “one size fits all” program. There is no diet to follow. Instead, you’ll get a holistic approach to weight management. It provides you with the tools you need to create your own personalized program and achieve the lasting success you want.
★ Exciting Features for Fall 2017 ★
- Fitbit Flex 2™ included, providing fully waterproof all-day activity tracking
- Upgrade to the Lifesteps + WOW level to add a discounted WOW fitness pass
- Expanded stress management topics
- LifeSteps is a three-month program.
- Group class sessions meet once a week during the lunch hour.
- You will meet individually with the LifeSteps leader three times during the program for one-on-one coaching.
- A new topic will be introduced each week. Participants are given realistic strategies they can implement immediately; you choose which ones are right for you.
- Weekly topics include: daily food choices, physical activity, serving sizes, the calorie connection, eating styles, dealing with emotions, eating out at restaurants and social events, and more…
- Participants use a food record to track what they eat and make their own decisions about what to change.
- Each week, the LifeSteps leader will review your food record and offer specific recommendations.
- You will develop a personalized physical activity plan to complement your eating.
- Several sessions will be devoted to stress management techniques to help you stay on track with your help goals.
- We have several add-on options to jumpstart your activity, including Fitbit activity trackers, additional testing, WOW fitness passes, and even personal training!
Watch the LifeSteps Orientation video on Vimeo.
Is LifeSteps right for me?
If you are looking for a straightforward approach to health that offers lifelong changes, LifeSteps might be the weight management program for you.
- Are you trying to lose weight because YOU want to? If so, you’ll have the personal commitment to succeed. Do it for yourself, not because someone else wants you to.
- Are you ready to make a lifelong commitment to healthy eating and regular exercise? You can expect a slow, steady weight loss. This is no crash diet. Most participants lose ½ - 1 pound per week, and between 7 - 12 pounds during the program.
- Are you willing to question your existing habits and try new strategies? LifeSteps will encourage you to try lots of personal experiments with new habits. You choose the ones that work for you.
- Can you commit to three months of weekly classes to work on your health goals? LifeSteps works best for those who can consistently attend class and make time for lifestyle change.
If you answered Yes to all of these, LifeSteps is for you!
Location and Schedule
Space is limited for each class. Sign up early to reserve your spot!
Classes will be led by EHP’s registered dietitian, Reed Vawter, MS, RDN, LD.
August 31 – December 7, 2017
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Travelstead Hall, room 125 (building 65 on campus map)
If you are unsure how to fit the LifeSteps class into your week, be sure to check out UNM Policy 3300, section 3.3, discussing flex time use for wellness and fitness.
Choose the level that is right for your personal goals. All levels are payable by tuition remission, cash, or check.
||LifeSteps + WOW
|All Lifesteps classes, including 1:1 sessions
|Fitbit Flex 2™ Activity Tracker
1) Quick Fit Assessment (pre/post program)
2) Resting Metabolic Rate Test(one time)
|WOW Fitness Pass for spring semester 2017
UNM benefits-eligible employees may use Health and Fitness tuition remission for all program options. UNM Continuing Education has a summary of the tuition remission benefit for reference.
Sign up now!
Signing up is easy! The process is slightly different depending on which class location you chose:
- Go to Learning Central and sign-in with your UNM NetID.
- Search for “LifeSteps”
- Register for your preferred class location
- This reserves your spot in the class. If your desired is full, you can sign up for the other class or add yourself to the waitlist.
- You will then receive an email with further instructions to complete the sign up process, including how to submit your tuition remission form to EHP, and setting up an individual meeting with your Lifesteps leader.
- Your individual meeting will occur in mid-to-late August. At this meeting, we’ll finalize your registration, provide course materials, and take baseline measurements.