Do you struggle to manage your weight? Are you looking for a program with proven results? LifeSteps combines a realistic approach to food with physical activity and group support. And by emphasizing simple behavior changes, it's designed to work with your lifestyle.
LifeSteps isn’t a “one size fits all” program. There is no diet to follow. Instead, you’ll get a holistic approach to weight management. It provides you with the tools you need to create your own personalized program and achieve the lasting success you want.
★ Exciting Features for 2018 ★
- Fitbit Flex 2™ included, providing fully waterproof all-day activity tracking
- Upgrade to the Lifesteps + WOW level to add a discounted WOW fitness pass
- Expanded stress management topics (main and north campus classes only)
- LifeSteps is a three-month program.
- Group class sessions meet once a week during the lunch hour.
- You will meet individually with the LifeSteps leader three times during the program for one-on-one coaching.
- A new topic will be introduced each week. Participants are given realistic strategies they can implement immediately; you choose which ones are right for you.
- Weekly topics include: daily food choices, physical activity, serving sizes, the calorie connection, eating styles, dealing with emotions, eating out at restaurants and social events, and more…
- Participants use a food record to track what they eat and make their own decisions about what to change.
- Each week, the LifeSteps leader will review your food record and offer specific recommendations.
- You will develop a personalized physical activity plan to complement your eating.
- Several sessions will be devoted to stress management techniques to help you stay on track with your goals (main and north campus classes only).
- We have several add-on options to jumpstart your activity, including Fitbit activity trackers, additional testing, and WOW fitness passes!
Watch the LifeSteps Orientation video on Vimeo.
Is LifeSteps right for me?
If you are looking for a straightforward approach to health that offers lifelong changes, LifeSteps might be the weight management program for you.
- Are you trying to lose weight because YOU want to? If so, you’ll have the personal commitment to succeed. Do it for yourself, not because someone else wants you to.
- Are you ready to make a lifelong commitment to healthy eating and regular exercise? You can expect a slow, steady weight loss. This is no crash diet. Most participants lose ½ - 1 pound per week, and between 7 - 12 pounds during the program.
- Are you willing to question your existing habits and try new strategies? LifeSteps will encourage you to try lots of personal experiments with new habits. You choose the ones that work for you.
- Can you commit to three months of weekly classes to work on your health goals? LifeSteps works best for those who can consistently attend class and make time for lifestyle change.
If you answered Yes to all of these, LifeSteps is for you!
Location and Schedule
Space is limited for each class. Sign up early to reserve your spot!
Main and north campus classes will be led by Employee Wellness' registered dietitian, Reed Vawter, MS, RDN, LD.
The Continuing Education class will be led by Employee Wellness' Lauren Lewis.
February 1 – May 10, 2018
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Technology & Education Center (TECH), room 190 (building 64 on campus map)
January 31 – May 9, 2018
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Domenici Center West, room B102 (building 200 on campus map)
Exact program schedule may vary by location to accommodate class needs.
If you are unsure how to fit the LifeSteps class into your week, be sure to check out UNM Policy 3300, section 3.3, discussing flex time use for wellness and fitness.
Choose the level that is right for your personal goals. All levels are payable by tuition remission, cash, or check.
||LifeSteps + WOW
|All Lifesteps classes, including 1:1 sessions
|Fitbit Flex 2™ Activity Tracker
1) Quick Fit Assessment (pre/post program)
2) Resting Metabolic Rate Test (one time)
|WOW Fitness Pass
* The Continuing Education class only offers the “LifeSteps” level and is offered for $380 at ce.unm.edu.
**The LifeSteps + WOW option is only available with the main and north campus classes.
UNM benefits-eligible employees may use Health and Fitness tuition remission for all program options. UNM Continuing Education has a summary of the tuition remission benefit for reference.
Sign up now!
Signing up is easy! The process is slightly different depending on which class location you choose:
Main and North Campus Classes
- Go to Learning Central and sign in with your UNM NetID
- Search for “LifeSteps”
- Register for your preferred class location
- This reserves your spot in the class
- If your desired is full, you can sign up for the other class or add yourself to the waitlist
- You'll receive an email with instructions to complete the sign up process, including:
- How to submit your tuition remission form to Employee Wellness
- Setting up an individual meeting with your Lifesteps leader
- Your individual meeting will occur in late January. At this meeting, we’ll provide course materials and take baseline measurements.
Continuing Education Class
- Visit ce.unm.edu for full details on how to sign up through Continuing Education.
- For the Continuing Education class, you will submit your payment or tuition remission form directly to Continuing Education.
- Initial individual meetings to provide course materials and take baseline measurements will occur on January 25, 2018.