Do you struggle to manage your weight? Are you looking for a program with proven results? LifeSteps combines a realistic approach to food with physical activity and group support. And by emphasizing simple behavior changes, it's designed to work with your lifestyle.
LifeSteps isn’t a “one size fits all” program. There is no diet to follow. Instead, you’ll get a holistic approach to weight management. It provides you with the tools you need to create your own personalized program and achieve the lasting success you want.
LifeSteps is available at NO COST for UNM benefits-eligible faculty and staff as well as HSC, UNMH, UNMMG, and SRMC employees.
All LifeSteps classes include:
- Weekly healthy eating topics and activities to develop your healthy eating plan
- Individual coaching sessions
- Ongoing support of a trained LifeSteps leader
- Stress management topics
- Fitness consultation and Exercise Physiology Lab testing
- LifeSteps is a three-month program.
- A new topic will be introduced each week. Participants are given realistic strategies they can implement immediately; you choose which ones are right for you.
- Weekly topics include: daily food choices, physical activity, serving sizes, the calorie connection, eating styles, dealing with emotions, eating out at restaurants and social events, and more…
- Participants use a food record to track what they eat and make their own decisions about what to change.
- You will develop a personalized physical activity plan to complement your eating.
- Classes include:
- Group sessions that meet once a week during the lunch hour.
- Individual meetings with the LifeSteps leader three times during the program for (virtual) one-on-one coaching.
- The LifeSteps leader will review your food record each week and offer specific recommendations.
- Stress management techniques are included to help you stay on track with your goals.
Watch the LifeSteps Orientation video on Vimeo.
Is LifeSteps right for me?
If you are looking for a straightforward approach to health that offers lifelong changes, LifeSteps might be the weight management program for you.
- Are you trying to lose weight because YOU want to? If so, you’ll have the personal commitment to succeed. Do it for yourself, not because someone else wants you to.
- Are you ready to make a lifelong commitment to healthy eating and regular exercise? You can expect a slow, steady weight loss. This is no crash diet. Most participants lose ½ - 1 pound per week, and between 7 - 15 pounds during the program.
- Are you willing to question your existing habits and try new strategies? LifeSteps will encourage you to try lots of personal experiments with new habits. You choose the ones that work for you.
- Can you commit to three months of weekly classes to focus on your health goals? LifeSteps works best for those who can consistently attend class and make time for lifestyle change.
If you answered Yes to all of these, LifeSteps is for you!
Location and Schedule
Space is limited for each class. Sign up early to reserve your spot!
Aug 28 – Nov 17 (12 weeks)
Online class meets every Thursday at noon
Daily tips, inspiration, and discussion in a private group in Microsoft Teams
Class led by Employee Wellness' registered dietitian nutritionist, Reed Vawter, MS, RDN, CSOWM, LD
If you are unsure how to fit the LifeSteps class into your week, be sure to check out UNM Policy 3300, section 3.3, discussing flex time use for wellness and fitness.
LifeSteps is available for UNM benefits-eligible faculty and staff as well as HSC, UNMH, UNMMG, and SRMC employees.
There is NO COST to join! Space is limited however, so sign up early to reserve your spot.
All classes currently meet online and include:
- LifeSteps personal workbook and activities
- Weekly group classes, tips, and recipes
- Three individual coaching sessions
- Ongoing personal support from a trained LifeSteps leader
- Weekly food log review and tailored suggestions
- Bonus testing from the Exercise Physiology Lab (your choice of a Resting Metabolic Rate test or Quick Fitness Assessment)
Sign up now!
Signing up is easy! And there is NO COST for employees.
- Go to Learning Central and sign in.
- Search for “LifeSteps” and register for the class.
- This reserves your spot in the class.
- If the class is full, you can add yourself to the waitlist.
- You'll then receive an email with instructions to complete the sign-up process, including:
- Verifying your eligibility for this no-cost lifestyle class.
- Setting up an individual meeting with your LifeSteps leader and
- How to join the online class.