Do you struggle to manage your weight? Are you looking for a program with proven results? LifeSteps combines a realistic approach to food with physical activity and group support. And by emphasizing simple behavior changes, it's designed to work with your lifestyle.
LifeSteps isn’t a “one size fits all” program. There is no diet to follow. Instead, you’ll get a holistic approach to weight management. It provides you with the tools you need to create your own personalized program and achieve the lasting success you want.
New for Spring 2020
- LifeSteps classes are available at no cost for benefits-eligible faculty and staff!
- Personal training included for in-person participants!
All LifeSteps classes include:
- Weekly healthy eating topics
- Ongoing support of a registered dietitian nutritionist
- Stress management topics
- Exercise Physiology Lab testing
- LifeSteps is a three-month program.
- Choose the class option that works best for you – online or in-person.
- A new topic will be introduced each week. Participants are given realistic strategies they can implement immediately; you choose which ones are right for you.
- Weekly topics include: daily food choices, physical activity, serving sizes, the calorie connection, eating styles, dealing with emotions, eating out at restaurants and social events, and more…
- Participants use a food record to track what they eat and make their own decisions about what to change.
- You will develop a personalized physical activity plan to complement your eating.
- In-person classes include:
- Group sessions that meet once a week during the lunch hour.
- Individual meetings with the LifeSteps leader three times during the program for one-on-one coaching.
- The LifeSteps leader will review your food record each week and offer specific recommendations.
- Up to five personal training sessions.
- Several weeks will be devoted to stress management techniques to help you stay on track with your goals.
Watch the LifeSteps Orientation video on Vimeo.
Is LifeSteps right for me?
If you are looking for a straightforward approach to health that offers lifelong changes, LifeSteps might be the weight management program for you.
- Are you trying to lose weight because YOU want to? If so, you’ll have the personal commitment to succeed. Do it for yourself, not because someone else wants you to.
- Are you ready to make a lifelong commitment to healthy eating and regular exercise? You can expect a slow, steady weight loss. This is no crash diet. Most participants lose ½ - 1 pound per week, and between 7 - 15 pounds during the program.
- Are you willing to question your existing habits and try new strategies? LifeSteps will encourage you to try lots of personal experiments with new habits. You choose the ones that work for you.
- Can you commit to three months of weekly classes to work on your health goals? LifeSteps works best for those who can consistently attend class and make time for lifestyle change.
If you answered Yes to all of these, LifeSteps is for you!
Location and Schedule
Space is limited for each class. Sign up early to reserve your spot!
Classes will be led by Employee Wellness' registered dietitian, Reed Vawter, MS, RDN, LD.
Main Campus (in-person)
Tuesdays, Feb 4 – May 12, 2020
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Technology & Education Center (TECH), room 230 (building 64 on campus map)
Online Delivery (virtual)
Feb 3 – May 15, 2020
(Delivered online via Yammer (accessed through LoboMail)
Participants must have access to Yammer via myUNM and LoboMail
Exact program schedule may vary by location to accommodate class needs.
If you are unsure how to fit the LifeSteps class into your week, be sure to check out UNM Policy 3300, section 3.3, discussing flex time use for wellness and fitness.
LifeSteps is available for UNM benefits-eligible faculty and staff. There is no cost to join! Space is limited however, so sign up early to reserve your spot.
We have both in-person classes and online classes. Select the option that works best for your schedule.
|All LifeSteps classes, and materials*
|Personal support from a registered dietitian
|Exercise Physiology Lab testing. Choice of:
1) Quick Fit Assessment (pre/post program)
2) Resting Metabolic Rate Test (one time)
|Personal Training (up to five sessions)
* Our LifeSteps classes no longer include a Fitbit activity tracker, but tracking your physical activity is still an important part of the class. Participants will select from a variety of tracking options, including: personal fitness trackers, online apps, or handwritten tracking.
** Personal training sessions will be with Lauren Lewis, MS, CPT. Sessions must be scheduled during normal work hours at either Johnson Center or at the Domenici Center Gym.
Sign up now!
Signing up is easy!
- Go to Learning Central and sign in with your UNM NetID.
- Search for “LifeSteps”.
- Register for your preferred class option (main campus or online delivery).
- This reserves your spot in the class.
- If your desired class is full, you can sign up for the other class or add yourself to the waitlist.
- You'll then receive an email with instructions to complete the sign up process, including:
- Verifying your eligibility for this no-cost lifestyle class.
- Setting up an individual meeting with your LifeSteps leader (main campus class) or how to join the private Yammer group (online class).