Do you struggle to manage your weight? Are you looking for a program with proven results? LifeSteps combines a realistic approach to food with physical activity and group support. And by emphasizing simple behavior changes, it's designed to work with your lifestyle.
LifeSteps isn’t a “one size fits all” program. There is no diet to follow. Instead, you’ll get a holistic approach to weight management. It provides you with the tools you need to create your own personalized program and achieve the lasting success you want.
All LifeSteps classes include:
- Weekly healthy eating topics
- Ongoing support of a registered dietitian nutritionist
- Fitbit activity tracker
- Stress management topics
- Exercise Physiology Lab testing
- Optional WOW Fitness Pass add-on
- LifeSteps is a three-month program.
- Choose the class option that works best for you – online or in-person.
- A new topic will be introduced each week. Participants are given realistic strategies they can implement immediately; you choose which ones are right for you.
- Weekly topics include: daily food choices, physical activity, serving sizes, the calorie connection, eating styles, dealing with emotions, eating out at restaurants and social events, and more…
- Participants use a food record to track what they eat and make their own decisions about what to change.
- You will develop a personalized physical activity plan to complement your eating.
- In-person classes include:
- Group sessions that meet once a week during the lunch hour.
- Individually meetings with the LifeSteps leader three times during the program for one-on-one coaching.
- The LifeSteps leader will review your food record each week and offer specific recommendations.
- Several weeks will be devoted to stress management techniques to help you stay on track with your goals.
- We have several add-on options to jumpstart your activity, including Fitbit activity trackers, additional testing, and WOW fitness passes!
Watch the LifeSteps Orientation video on Vimeo.
Is LifeSteps right for me?
If you are looking for a straightforward approach to health that offers lifelong changes, LifeSteps might be the weight management program for you.
- Are you trying to lose weight because YOU want to? If so, you’ll have the personal commitment to succeed. Do it for yourself, not because someone else wants you to.
- Are you ready to make a lifelong commitment to healthy eating and regular exercise? You can expect a slow, steady weight loss. This is no crash diet. Most participants lose ½ - 1 pound per week, and between 7 - 12 pounds during the program.
- Are you willing to question your existing habits and try new strategies? LifeSteps will encourage you to try lots of personal experiments with new habits. You choose the ones that work for you.
- Can you commit to three months of weekly classes to work on your health goals? LifeSteps works best for those who can consistently attend class and make time for lifestyle change.
If you answered Yes to all of these, LifeSteps is for you!
Location and Schedule
Space is limited for each class. Sign up early to reserve your spot!
Classes will be led by Employee Wellness' registered dietitian, Reed Vawter, MS, RDN, LD.
Wednesdays, Sep 4 – Dec 11, 2019
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Domenici North Wing, room 3706 (building 200 on campus map)
Sep 3 – Dec 13, 2019
(Delivered online via Yammer (accessed through LoboMail)
Participants must have access to Yammer via myUNM and LoboMail
Exact program schedule may vary by location to accommodate class needs.
If you are unsure how to fit the LifeSteps class into your week, be sure to check out UNM Policy 3300, section 3.3, discussing flex time use for wellness and fitness.
Choose the level that is right for your personal goals. All levels are payable by tuition remission, cash, or check.
||LifeSteps + WOW
|All LifeSteps classes, and materials
|Personal support from a registered dietitian
|Fitbit Activity Tracker
|Exercise Physiology Lab testing. Choice of:
1) Quick Fit Assessment (pre/post program)
2) Resting Metabolic Rate Test (one time)
|WOW Fitness Pass
UNM benefits-eligible employees may use Health and Fitness tuition remission for all program options. UNM Continuing Education has a summary of the tuition remission benefit for reference.
Sign up now!
Signing up is easy!
- Go to Learning Central and sign in with your UNM NetID
- Search for “LifeSteps”
- Register for your preferred class option (north campus or online delivery)
- This reserves your spot in the class
- If your desired class is full, you can sign up for the other class or add yourself to the waitlist
- You'll then receive an email with instructions to complete the sign up process, including:
- How to submit your tuition remission form to Employee Wellness
- Setting up an individual meeting with your LifeSteps leader (north campus class) or how to join the private Yammer group (online class)